Tuesday 8 July 2014

Mangkubumi's violation or operating hours

My neighbour Wai who lives on Jalan 14/15 near to the construction of the PJ North Sewer pit, copied me this this e-mail which he sent last night to Rajiv Rishyakaran, Selangor State Assemblyman for Bukit Gasing and told me I could put it on my blog, so here it is.

Hi ,

I've just sent a mail to Rajiv about last night incident. Don't know if you had any 'brushes' with Mangkubumi before but thought I would share with you. Who knows, perhaps you may like to write something about it in your blog. :)

Wai

----------------------------------------

Subject: Mangkubumi's violation
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:40:35 +0800

Dear Rajiv,

I would like to bring to your attention that Mangkubumi, the contractor tasked with the sewerage pipe replacement (package D47) has violated their working hour permit.

Last night, they carried out work on the pit at the junction of road 14/36 and 14/15 until 11 p.m.! Giant machines spewing black diesel smoke and sound of engine and metal dominated an otherwise lovely peaceful evening.

My numerous calls and SMS to the Liason Officer, Clifford Yap and Assistant Project Manager, Yap Yoon Zheng also went unanswered at all; they do not even have the courtesy to return my calls and SMS even up till now.

I also made 2 calls to the SEA Park police station, one at 8.30 p.m. and another at 10.40 p.m. but all I got was a standard answer "we'll have a patrol car over to check it" but I did not notice any patrol car that showed up. The fact remains that the work did not stop until 11 p.m. when they were finally done and started packing up.

I managed to speak to the supervisor called Ryan about 8.15 p.m. and reminded him of the working hour restriction. He was apologetic and assured me that it was a "one-off" thing. However, there had been conveniently just too many a "one-off" recently and I don't think this excuse is valid anymore. As long as no action is taken or the rule being enforced, they will always think that they can get away with it - untouched.

Apparently, they were laying cement last night. However, it is highly unusual, and not to mention dodgy, to lay cement at night. Friends who are in this industry shared with me previously that cement-laying is a critical milestone or activity in a project. More often than not, if cement-laying is done at night, it is usually to cover defects (the grade of material used, number of steel rods used versus design requirements, etc.) and/or to avoid inspection by consultants and engineers as well. Once the cement is laid and hardened, it is very rare that the cement be ordered to be cracked open and removed just to allow inspection as cement-laying is quite expensive (running into tens of thousands, if I remember correctly). I am not saying nor suggesting that it is the case here with Mangkubumi or the pit at the junction of road 14/36 and 14/15 but ask any industry players, they will most likely tell you that it is unusual.

Who else can I turn to when contractors think that they are above the rule, police missing the 'heart' to serve us and MBPJ that pays lip service only? Moving forward, I do not know what you would like to do regarding this issue but I sincerely hope that you can make a difference.

Regards,

Wai
======================================


Yours trully

No2KIDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment